A number of metrics can be used to gauge the effectiveness of this process.
Metrics to Identify Resource Utilization & Effectiveness of the Applied Resources:
The following metrics can be used to confirm the effectiveness of the process in providing the appropriate level of resources:
• The number of SLA breaches (or loss of user time) caused through inadequate capacity (e.g. performance below target due to lack of capacity).
• The number of Incidents resulting from a lack of capacity or poor performance.
Metrics to Identify the Effectiveness of the Capacity Plan:
The following metrics can be used in respect of properly fulfilling the planning role:
• The number of unplanned purchases required to provide adequate capacity or performance.
• The percentage accuracy of actual versus planned spend as given in the Capacity Plan.
• The percentage of over capacity (by resource type or CI).
• The number of new or changed services implemented without capacity or performance-related issues.
• The actual business demand as a percentage of forecast demand.
Metrics to Identify the Performance:
The following metric can be used in respect of monitoring performance:
• The percentage of CIs monitored for performance.
Prev: Capacity Manager
Next: Relationship with Other Processes